19 March 2009

Not realistic? Really!?

This is a little late in coming, but this is one of the topics I wanted to write about - though I never got around to it! Being that the title of my blog is Abstinence and the City, this little story struck home... er... blog.

Not too long ago, the now household name of Bristol Palin made headlines yet again. Firstly, the background... During the presidential election, Governor Palin's teenaged, unwed and pregnant daughter Bristol was the source of horrible scrutiny, judgement and hideous speculation. Being that Governor Palin is a full fledged conservative Pro-Lifer, the liberal loving, Palin-hating media reported blatant untruths. I fully believe that it is ridiculous to condemn Governor Palin for her daughter's actions and decisions. To me, it looks like a mother who had taught her daughter certain principles and loved her through a difficult time even though she had chosen a different path, which is fine - that's her choice. However...

I bring this up because as I mentioned, there've been more recent headlines. In an interview given with FoxNews, Bristol was quoted as saying that teenagers should avoid having sex, but in the very next sentence it is reported that she acknowledged that "abstinence is not realistic at all." When I read that I was simply blown away. I was immediately disenchanted.

It would seem that we live in a society that makes abstinent living unpopular and even difficult, yes. But the truth of the matter is that parents need to teach their children to make the decision BEFOREhand. Before they are faced with the decision of, should I? Shouldn't I? We should already know where we stand on the matter and do our best to avoid potentially tempting situations. We live in a time that not only accepts pre-marital (and heck, extra-marital) "relations," but the world also seems to expect it. So much so that this young, single mother believes that it's not realistic to live a morally clean lifestyle. I also find it interesting to know that not too long after this story published, it was announced that the engagement between her and her baby daddy had been called off. Clearly exhibiting that giving in to physical passion will more than likely not lead to long-term happiness. I of course wish them both the best in their struggle to raise their child - raising a child with a partner to whom you're married is hard enough, let alone doing so separately and/or singly.

While being abstinent may not be realistic for Bristol Palin, she is now facing the reality of being a single mother at a young age (and all the sacrifices and hardships that will accompany it). There are no guarantees when the choice is made to be unchaste. There are more risks in our promiscuous world than ever before. The world would have us believe that we have no control over our "natural desires." Though, there is a Higher Power that has commanded that we learn self-mastery and bridle our passions. I would also like to point out that many of those who have chosen to live a life of giving in to their carnal passions don't seem any happier or better off than those of us who abstain. Just sayin'!

There are too many girls and women out there who have fooled themselves into believing that giving in to "what men want" will lead them to the love that they are seeking. No man that truly respects or loves a woman would require physical intimacy in order to give emotional intimacy. Our society has become desensitized to that which is immoral, and in fact celebrates it.

I think it's high time that the world realizes and celebrates the priceless value of virture. There is power, beauty and strength in a virtuous woman. Ezra Taft Benson, a prophet of God, once said, "Give me a young woman who is virtuous and has maintained her personal purity... and I will give you a young woman who will perform miracles for the Lord now and throughout eternity." Who wouldn't want that kind of power? When a woman loves and respects herself, she can and will rise above all that may stand in the way of her eternal happiness and progression. It might not be an easy task to be abstinent in a world that urges and expects you to define love and lust in the same way, but it can be realistic, and I am living proof that it is surely NOT impossible.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen sista. Abstinence is was under-rated. Most people don't think it's possible. It is possible. It's hard, yes, but it is possible. And I think you have a more fulfilling marriage when you save yourselves for each other. I like your blog. Let's be blog friends :)

Anonymous said...

YEs Yes Yes!!! You are 100% right. Our society is such a "PLEASE ME RIGHT NOW" society. Nothing is worth waiting for... so mosth think. I am not claiming to be a saint and I am FAR from perfect (only one person in the whole world ever was) but I waited for my husband. Not that there weren't temptations... but I didn't give in. I overcame. My boyfriend (now husband) rspected my views. We dated for a year and a half were engaged for a year and never once did we give in to our carnal desires. Our marriage is tremendous. I am more in love with him now than when I married him. Our passion is high and you know what... I have NO ONE to compare him to. As far as I am concerned... he is the BEST I have ever had!!!! I am proud to tell my daughter someday that I waited for her daddy. What an example. YES. Wait. It is soooooo worth it. Trust me.. and listen to Angie. She is RIGHT OM!!!

Naomi Carmen Witcher said...

i really liked your post on this subject. and you wrote about it so eloquently. nice job, and i agree 100%! from naomi aka sister gotze

Eva McGann said...

Bravo and well said!! I am anxious to see how many of my abstinence colleagues send this to me on Monday. We have alerts set for anytime a blog mentions anything related to abstinence and marriage and I bet I get several who refer me to read your blog! Way to go Angela!

Anonymous said...

1. It is finally good to hear somebody (in the lower 48) say something good about my dear Gov. Palin. Yes, we in AK still like her.
2. Bristol is a child (though 18, she is in a tough spot) in a tough position. She may know what is right, but she gave in to something else and is now evidence of exactly what she did - in action and in word.

So often we end up losing our beliefs because we justify our wrongs.

I will say that Bristol not only has to deal with her actions with northslope boy, but she also got sold out to the national media. The media did not have to focus on her, they did not have to air that interview, yet they did. The media has an agenda, and it is documenting, glamorizing, justifying and advertising the way to turn from good and be "happy". Time to stand up and get unplugged!!!

Ok, that rant is done.
Elisabeth

Jess said...

Well duh you will know that I agree with you!!
& I really like the last paragraph the best :)