06 July 2010

In the meantime I'll live like there's no tomorrow...

Recently, I had read a few blogs and discussed with a few other “singles” the idea of having held back on life decisions because “what if…” What if I meet someone next year, how can I be in school, move, change jobs, etc. One such blog post, by Why I’m Still Single, discussed this and how, essentially, it equates to basing your life decisions on a person that doesn’t even exist [in your life yet]. I’ve come to realize and accept that while I may have begun this behavior subconsciously, I perpetuated it mini-consciously. You know, not really admitting it to myself even while the thought floats by ever so briefly…

I have decided that the time has come to live my life the way it was meant to be lived. I have been toying with the idea of returning to school for quite some time. I’ve been back in Ohio now for 4 years. I never planned on being here that long, and at the time chose not to attend school with the thought that “I might not be living here next year,” or whatever the excuse may be. Now, I’m saying, "screw that mess!"

I’ve pondered upon it, and this past weekend made the first step. Granted, it’s community college, but education is education and it will work with my work schedule. Although it isn’t working toward what I had previously thought about pursuing, I am pleased at this time with the decision to pursue a degree in Human Resources. I’m in the process now of getting everything squared away in order to begin classes this fall. It’s an exciting change, a new path toward progress. I’m hoping that it will work out with the timing of other life situations so that in a couple of years I will complete an AS in HRM and be able to expand my occupational horizons, perhaps with a move elsewhere and idealy continuing my education further – the options can and will be unlimited. There is no imaginary potential person holding me down or back.

What it all really boils down to is fear. We often doubt ourselves to such an extent that we render ourselves incapable of the potential lying before us. There comes a time when you just have to take a leap into the unknown and allow yourself to realize your capabilities. The trick is to learn to navigate the twists and turns with an open mind and open heart and accept that even when things don’t work out exactly the way we had expected or wanted, it doesn’t mean we’re at a dead end - sometimes the twists and turns are what really fulfill the dreams we didn't even know we had.

5 comments:

KT said...

Amen!! Just get started. And what?? 4 years? Time to move back.

Candy Eash said...

Good for you! School is such a wonderful environment.
I think I have the opposite problem. I am constantly trying to do something or go somewhere, with the faith that the Lord can send me a husband even if I'm trapped on a desert island. But I think I move too much. He's probably scratching His head saying "I sent one to the island, and the desert, and the mountains - but you were always gone when they arrived!" ;)

Karen Ella said...

yyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy!!!!! I'M SO EXCITED for you! And, amen and a half!

Sandy said...

Love the "screw that mess!" comment. lol. Srsly though. Why not start school? We can't hold off plans just waiting for something else to happen. Now you should go buy a Trapper Keeper!!

The aMAYSing Family said...

Here! Here! Totally agree - especially with your last paragraph!